This document provides an overview of the new features and capabilities that are incorporated into Winworks AutoShop Version 5.5. We have made over 200 changes to Winworks AutoShop including suggestions from you, various enhancements and adjustments. Each year we find that some worthy suggestions must be postponed for a future version as we prioritize those improvements that will have the largest impact upon our nearly 3,000 users. This new version can have a substantial impact on how the Winworks AutoShop software system contributes to your shop’s success.
Summary of New Features
New Purchase Order System Resize/Maximize Screen
QuickBooks A/P Integration Windows Vista Support
Special Tire Tax Surcharges ALLDATA iShop Integration
X-Charge Credit Card Processing New SalesTax Summary Report
Lost Sales Tracking/Reporting Wrenchead/Nexpart Integration
Target Profit Indicator on WOs Email Authentication Support
Change Task Order on WOs Lookup Window Improvements
Change Part Order on Tasks Enhanced UPC Barcode lookup
Attach Pictures to Vehicles Alphabetical Part Group sorting
Track Part Sales by Department And much more …
1. New Purchase Order System – (Professional Edition, GS w/Inv) This version enhances Winworks AutoShop’s part ordering and receiving system by adding a Purchase Order component. Now, when you order parts, you are also creating a purchase order. Purchase Orders are automatically numbered. You can create a purchase order either by clicking Order Parts in the Inventory menu or from the Purchase Order List window, click the Add New button. If you use the Quick Order button on the Order Parts window, a separate Purchase Order (PO) will be created for each vendor. Select Purchase Order List from the Inventory menu to view a list of both Open and Closed POs. To record the receipt of parts on a PO, select Receive Parts from the Inventory menu. Select the PO by dropping down the list and clicking on the PO number. All parts from the purchase order will be added to the list. If you not receiving all ordered parts, you can remove the non-received parts from the list. If all parts on a PO are received, the PO is considered Closed but still can be viewed on the PO list window.
2. QuickBooks Accounts Payable Integration – (Professional Edition, GS w/Inv) You can now export Accounts Payable information to QuickBooks in a similar way that Accounts Receivable information is exported. Accounts Payable information results from part purchases from your various vendors. Purchases can be recorded in two different ways. One, you can use the Receive Parts window to record a purchase/Accounts Payable transaction. Alternatively, in the Inventory Settings window (Pricing/Other tab), if you have selected the Auto-Create Purchase Records for Insufficient Stock option, AutoShop creates received part records (purchase records) automatically during End of Day Processing. In either case, the purchased amount from a vendor can be exported to QuickBooks as a Payable. To turn this feature on, select Interface Settings from the Options menu. Click on the Accounting Software Link tab and check the Include individual A/P transactions option. You will also need to specify the Accounts Payable account name and the AP Holding Account name in the account listing on the same page. As with Accounts Receivable transactions, Winworks AutoShop will export the total dollar amount for all purchased parts to the AP Holding account listed. Next, it will send over individual vendor name and address information to QuickBooks, and finally, it will create one journal entry for each vendor, transferring that vendors purchased total to the vendors Accounts Payable account in QuickBooks. We have included a revised QuickBooks Excel Worksheet in the Misc folder on the Winworks CD.
3. X-Charge Credit Card Processing Integration – We have received many requests to revise credit card processing inside of Winworks AutoShop. The X-Charge Merchant processing company we now integrate with offers very competitive rates and allows us to seamlessly provide credit card processing when you receive a payment inside of AutoShop without the use of expensive credit card machines saving both time and money. Inside your upgrade package is additional contact information for X-Charge. For added convenience, we offer a $99 (plus shipping) credit card reader which is the only credit card machine you will need replacing your existing credit card machine and its monthly fee. As our partner, X-Charge may contact you and offer a free evaluation of the savings you could expect by processing your credit cards inside of AutoShop with X-Charge. Obviously, you are under no obligation to use this feature. After signing up with X-Charge, select the Require Use of XCharge for all credit card transactions option on the Other Settings tab on the Preferences window. You will also be installing the XCharge software which is provided at no charge. If you purchase our credit card reader, be sure it is connected to an available USB port. Next, when you receive a credit card payment on a work order or counter sale, swipe the card when you see the payment screen and click the Authorize button. If you’re not using a credit card reader, just key in the credit card number, expiration and optional CVV. The X-Charge system will advise you whether the payment was approved or declined. You can view payments, void charges and perform other functions with the X-Charge Manager available from the Options menu. The X-Charge Manager software also allows you to pre-authorize a charge, view transaction histories, print reports and much more.
4. Lost Sales Tracking and Reporting – (Professional Edition, GS w/Pak) Lost Sales happen for a number of reasons, some of which you can control. The amount and reasons for lost sales is vital information managers need to improve the bottom line. This feature allows you to add a deleted task from an estimate or a work order and the reason to the lost sales system. The task is saved to the customer file and can be viewed later. Further, this feature includes a comprehensive reporting system. Select Lost Sales Analysis from the Accounting menu. Choose a starting date, and ending date and report type. The Lost Sales Summary provides totals by Reason, Service Type, Service Writer and Technician. The Lost Sales Detail option shows the individual Lost Sales amounts providing either the customer name or task description sorted by Reason. When you save a deleted task to the Lost Sales system, the entire task including its labor and parts, detailed description and any other notes you add are saved and are available from the customers window. To view a customers Lost Sales, open the Customer window, locate the customer by name, phone number,etc. and click on the Lost Sales tab which is next to the Estimates/Work Orders tab. A listing of all Lost Sales is shown along with a total Lost Sales dollar amount. . Click on a Lost Sale with the right mouse button to view a brief summary or double-click a Lost Sale to view it in a work order window. Open the task to view the details of the Lost Sale. Once in the task window, you can save the Lost Sales task to an estimate by clicking the Save To Estimate button.
On the Lost Sales reasons list, you can add, edit and delete a reason from the list. Click Lost Sales Reasons from the Lists menu to access the list.
5. Target Profit Indicator – This feature provides an immediate indicataction of the profitability of a work order. Many management seminars advise shop owners to create a target profit range. The range has a lower and upper profit margin that represents the profitability goals for the shop. While our Profit Analysis window provides a graphical view of parts, labor and total profit margin, the Target Profit Indicator provides an immediate warning when profit is either below the lower margin percentage (Red Light) and above the higher margin percentage (Yellow Light). To set these profit goal percentages, select Preferences from the Options menu and click on the Work Order Settings tab. From this screen set the Low and High profit margin goals or remove the check at the left to turn off the Target Profit Indicator altogether. The percentages represent profit as a percentage of price; therefore, numbers from 1 to 99 are valid. On the work order window, the meaning of the different states for the Target Profit Indicator are:
The Red Light indicates that the profit margin is below the Low Profit Margin goal set in the Preferences window.
The Yellow Light indicates that the profit margin is above the High Profit Margin goal set in the Preferences window.
The Green Light indicates that the profit margin is between the Low and High profit margin goals.
For detailed profit margin information, click on the Target Profit Indicator to open the Profit Analysis window which can be used to show both parts and labor profit margins by task or for the entire work order. Keep in mind that accurate profit margin displays require accurate labor rates per technician and accurate parts cost information.
6. Special Tire Tax Surcharges - In previous versions of Winworks AutoShop, you could create a surcharge that was calculated by applying a percentage to parts or labor, etc. This improvement to the surcharge system allows you to create a surcharge calculated as a percentage of parts which are only in one part group or one part department. Therefore, for example, you can create a surcharge that only applies to parts in the Tires part group or Tires part department. See Feature 12 below for information on how to create & use the Part Department feature. Below is an example of how to create a Tire Tax that is 2% of all tires on a work order. From the Lists menu, select Standard Surcharges. Next, click Add to create a new Standard Surcharge. Specify the name at the top, click the All Work Orders option so that you’ll never need to add the surcharge manually to a work order, choose the Percentage option and click on Parts. In the drop down list, select either a part group or part department you want to apply this surcharge to such as the Tires group. Enter a percentage for the surcharge and click Ok to save. If there are no parts on a work order that pertain to the Tires group, then no Tire Tax will be calculated. Keep in mind that the new Standard Surcharge will only be added to new work orders when they are created. You will have to manually add this surcharge to existing open work orders to automatically calculate the Tire Tax. As with many Winworks AutoShop features, we have made this feature flexible so that it can be used for any other applications where you want to apply a surcharge to only a portion of the parts on a work order.
7. Change the Task Order on a Work Order – Now you can adjust the order of tasks on an open work order. On the Work Order window, select a task by clicking it one time. Next, use the new Up and Down buttons to move the selected task either up or down in the order. The changes you make to the Task order are saved immediately.
8. Change the Part Position on a Task – You can also change the order in which the parts are displayed and printed on a work order. This feature only applies to work orders created using Version 5.5 or higher of Winworks AutoShop. To change the position, open a task from the Work Order window and double-click on the part you wish to change. On the Edit Part window, select the new part position from the Position drop down list and click Ok. The part position is now changed.
9. Save Task to Estimate – You can now take a work order task and save it to a customers estimate. This is beneficial if it’s a job you expect to perform in the future for the same customer. To save a task to an estimate, click the Save to Estimate button on the Task window. Keep in mind that you can import estimate tasks onto a work order if you have the AutoShop Estimates import option selected. To select this option, choose Interface Settings from the Options menu and select AutoShop Estimates as one of your estimating systems. The Estimates button will now appear on the Import line on the task window. Using these two features together, you can easily transfer tasks of any size between work orders and estimates without recreating them.
10. Use any Pricing Schedule to Quick Price Parts – When you add parts to the inventory database, you can specify which matrix pricing schedule will be used to price out the part when the QuickPrice button is used. Now, on each part on a work order, you can re-price the part with any pricing schedule without changing the default pricing information for that part. From the Task window, double-click the part you want to re-price, select the pricing schedule from the drop down list and click the QuickPrice button to re-price this part for this work order only.
11. Vehicle Picture Repository – You can now add any number of JPG or BMP pictures to a vehicles file. A picture is worth a thousand words and a picture of a vehicles components can document special features, provide information you’ll need for the next repair, etc. To add a picture to the list, open the vehicle window, locate the vehicle using the license plate, etc, and click on the Pictures tab next to the Estimate/WO List tab at the bottom left. Click the Add Picture button and locate the BMP or JPG file you want to add to the customers file and click Open. The picture will be copied to the program directory and linked to the vehicle. You can double-click the picture to view and print it.
12. Part Departments/Department Report – To enhance parts sales reporting, we have added the ability for you to specify a part department for each part on a work order or counter sale ticket. Each part in the inventory database has a default department, but you can change the department for a part on a work order by editing the part. This will not change the default department, but allow this parts sales amount for this work order to be listed under the selected department on the Inventory Sales by Department report. This is helpful if you want to summarize part sales by different departments such as front counter, service, etc. To begin using the Department feature, setup your department list by clicking Departments List from the Inventory menu. Click the Add New button to add each new department. To edit the department for a part on a work order, double-click the part on the task window and select the department from the drop down list and click Ok. To view a report of part sales by department, choose Reports from the Inventory menu and select Inventory Sales Report. In the report window, select the time period for the report and By Dept option. The Departments feature is available in the GS Edition, but the Inventory add-on is necessary to print the various Inventory reports.
13. Global Department Change – (Professional Edition) From the Inventory window, click the bottom Menu button, select Global and choose Change Department to change a group of parts to a new department. This feature is helpful in configuring your inventory system for the new Department Sales report.
14. Resize/Maximize the AutoShop Main Screen - The XGA (1024x768) AutoShop resolution can now be resized and maximized if you are running a resolution higher than 1024x768. To save the custom size, from the Window menu, select Resize and click the Custom option. To restore the screen to the standard 1024x768 resolution settings, click the Window menu again, choose Resize and click on the XGA (1024x768) option.
15. ALLDATA iShop Integration – We have added a new integration option for our ALLDATA interface. In many cases, you will need to use this new iShop setting to continue to seamlessly integrate AutoShop with ALLDATA. To select this new option, click on Interface Settings from the Options menu and select either the Saved and On The Fly (iShop) or On The Fly Only (iShop) setting and click Ok.
16. New Sales Tax Summary Report – This new viewable and printable report provides a convenient summary of sales tax information for any time period. Gross Sales, Exempt Sales, Taxable Sales are Sales Tax Collected are shown for both parts and labor as well as details for taxable and exempt sales. In many cases, this report will provide all the necessary numbers to file your state’s sales tax report. From the Accounting menu, choose Accounting Reports and Sales Tax Summary report.
17. New Wrenchead/Nexpart Integration – We have updated our Wrenchead interface to the new Nexpart standard. This new interface offers both catalog parts lookup and on-line parts ordering through the Wrenchead system.
18. Email Authentication Enhancement – To increase compatibility with more email providers, we have added the option to specify Email authentication, user name and password in our Email Settings window. From the Options menu, choose Preferences. Click the Other Settings tab and click on the Configure Email button at the bottom. Note: Does not support SSL (Socket Secure layer) Port 465.
19. Lookup Window Improvements – 1. We have changed the format of the date to mm/dd/yy. If you prefer the old yy/mm/dd format, use the /OD command line switch. 2. We added the ability to sort by status and reference. We replaced sorting by account number with sorting by customer name. 3. If you restrict the viewing of the subtotal amounts, the Reports security user right is now required when opening the totals for viewing. Consult the manual for additional details on this feature. 4. You can now force the Lookup window to refresh its list every minute if you add the /LR command line string.
20. Enhanced UPC Barcode Scanning – Previously to use barcode scanning, you would have to use the actual barcode number as the part number. Now, you can place the barcode number in the new UPC Tag field for a part. To first search these Tag numbers, select Settings from the Inventory menu, click on the Pricing/Other tab and select the Search UPC Tag before Part Number Search option.
21. A/R Aging Report Window Improvements – (Professional Edition, GS w/AR) The A/R Aging report now has an option to Display Unpaid Charges Only for viewing and printing. Locate a customer in the customer window or double-click an A/R customer in the Receivables Listing window (select Receivables Listing from the Accounting menu). On the Customer window, click the Reports button and choose the Show A/R Acct Aging report. Also in the A/R Aging Report window, you can double-click a payment or charge to display the allocations. You can also remove allocations after double-clicking a payment.
22. Allocation System Improvements – (Professional Edition, GS w/AR) The A/R Payments window (select Receivable Payments from the Accounting menu) now has multiple sorting options and can show all allocated payments for a selected customer. We have added the ability to unallocate a closed payment. Also, you can now receive a zero total payment which will allow you to allocate a negative adjustment against positive adjustments or charges.
23. Tech Support Remote Sessions – The Winworks Technical Support staff can now connect to your computer quickly to view your screen and perform technical support tasks for you. This option requires a high speed internet connection. Click Activate Remote Session from the Help menu and enter the 6 digit PIN code provided to you by your Winworks technician.
24. Record 7-digit vehicle odometer readings – This version can save 7-digit odometer readings, but in most cases, you will need to update the database structure using the Database Repair Utility. First, exit all copies of AutoShop. Next, click Start/Programs/AutoShop for Windows/Database Repair Utility and click on Update Database Structure for 7-Digit Mileage. You should perform a backup before updating your database.
25. New MOTOR Transmission Estimating Integration – In addition to MOTOR Electronic Estimating, this version of Winworks AutoShop integrates with MOTOR Transmission Estimating. Select Interface Settings from the Options menu and choose MOTOR Transmission for one of your estimating options. Both MOTOR Mechanical Estimating and MOTOR Transmission Estimating are available by calling 1-800-WINWORKS.
26. Counter Sale Find Find feature – We’ve made it faster to enter parts on the counter sale window. Instead of clicking the Find button after entering a part number, you can just press tab. This is especially helpful when using barcode scanning. Turn this feature on in the Inventory Settings window Pricing/Other tab.
27. Enhanced Time Sheet Printout – You can now print the clock-in and clock-out times on timesheets. To turn this feature on, select the Date/TechLink Options tab on the Preferences window and choose the Print Full Timesheet Info option.
28. Sort Part Groups Alphabetically You can now sort the inventory groups/sub groups alphabetically when shown on the screen. Select Settings from the Inventory menu and choose Sort by Group Name.
29. Larger Task window in XGA/1024 Resolution – The larger task window in the XGA resolution displays more of the detailed comments and the first 24 parts. Previously, the first 13 parts were shown.
30. Sales Tax Amounts by Allocation Report – In most states, sales taxes are calculated and due when the sale is final. That is true whether the sale was paid in cash, credit card or put on account. These states such as California have provision for un-collectable accounts in future sales tax returns. Some states allow postponement of payment of sales taxes until cash payment is received. This version can print a list of sales taxes collected based on payment allocations to previous work orders. The Sales Tax by Allocation Report is available at the bottom of the AutoShop Utilities listing. Please read all report messages regarding the limitations of this report and consult your CPA before using this information in your sales tax filings.
31. Additional Cost Detail information is now printed on Estimate Type printouts. Use the /LP command line switch to limit this information and print detail in a pre-version 5.5 style.
32. The Winworks AutoShop background screen now displays our software logo. You can turn this background off using the Background Picture option in the Other Settings tab of the Preferences window. The Standard setting is our software logo. Alternatively, you can enter a BMP or JPG file name, however, the file needs to be correctly sized before adding it since this background feature cannot adjust the picture size.
33. Miscellaneous changes: 1. The Parts Sales Analysis has been corrected when selecting only a subgroup category – Now both the subgroup and group parts are included, 2. A convenient Send Data to Quickbooks option was added to the Accounting menu, 3. We’ve added more COM port options when configuring the dialer/cash drawer. 4. This version includes support such as revised help files for Windows Vista; however we recommend Windows XP and Winworks Server operating systems; 5. In the Marketing Machine, you can right mouse click the statement button in the Email section to view the statement contents.